Sunday, January 27, 2013

Crock pot! Mushroom and barley stew

I have a small, 4 cup crock pot, so this recipe is based on that size. Double for larger.

3/4 c barley
6 -8 mushrooms, sliced (I used Baby Bella's)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 veggie bouillon cubes
1 T red wine
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1T soy sauce
Fresh ground pepper
Fresh rosemary, medium sprig
I bay leaf
1-2 T olive or favorite cooking oil
4 cups water

Coat crock pot with a little oil. Put all ingredients into pot, stir. Cook at low for 8 hours. Smelled heavenly when I got home from work & class. I ate it plain but you could add more broth or water for a soup, serve with salad or sautéed greens. Gets thicker in the fridge (ie, sludge) so thin with broth or water for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment